Now reading

17 Goals for 2017

17 Goals for 2017
17 Goals for 2017

2016 was a big year. Travelling, running, exploring, adventuring, doing scary things, experiencing new challenges at work, eating at tasty places. I did a lot of things I never would have imagined doing 5, 3, and even 1 year ago.

I clearly remember at the end of 2014 looking back and thinking how am I going to top this year: I finished my Masters, got a job, travelled to the Cayman Islands, ran a community arts project, solo hiked, witnessed two best friends marry each other, went on many BC adventures, made new friends. 2015 ended up being even better! I don’t know if I am just getting old, but 2016 was the year I realized there are so many things I want to do but realistically there isn’t time to do everything. While this realization is somewhat sad, it’s also great encouragement to get out there, have fun, and go do what I want to do!

There are plenty of adventures and goals I hope to accomplish this year but here are 17 of them:

1. Read 25 books
  2. Follow a budget, contribute to monthly savings, and track my spending on a weekly basis
  3. Launch a communications consulting business
  4. Build on my freelance writing experience and portfolio
  5. Run a half-marathon PB (sub 1:50)
  6. Run a marathon PB (sub 4:00)
  7. Climb the Grouse Grind in less than 50 minutes
  8. Run a 50 km trail race (no time goals)
  9. Do a 3 day juice cleanse at the Crocodile Pear
  10. Do a Whole30
  11. Meditate for 30 consecutive days
  12. Visit Vancouver’s 10 best coffee shops of 2016
  13. Blog twice weekly
  14. Grow my blog and social media audiences
  15. See a sports nutritionist and improve my training and race nutrition
  16. Stay injury-free (get rid of this piriformis problem once and for all) and improve my rest and recovery
  17. Travel: I have trips planned to Victoria, England, Toronto, and Calgary so far. I would also love to visit: Tofino, Galiano Island, East Sooke Park, Sunshine Coast, California, Seattle, and one or several of Canada’s National Parks (free this year!)

What are one, two, or 17 of your goals for 2017?

17 Comments
  • Syd says:

Look out 2017! What a great list of varied goals! I would like to PB in every distance this year and spend more time reading, but I won’t set the bar quite as high as you! 25 books is an awesome goal, but I’ll say 15 for myself and not all running books 😛.

• Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales says:

Thanks Syd! Your goals sound great as well. 15 books would probably be a more reasonable goal (seeing as the number of books I read in 2016 was VERY low) but we’ll see what happens!

• Sounds like it will be an amazing year!

• Kathleen says:

I can’t wait to hear about your trip adventures! Especially to Victoria—a city I definitely still miss. When are you going to England and where will you be? I was there last year for a great two-week trip. You’re going to have so much fun!

• Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales says:

Thanks Kat! I am excited to go back to Victoria and hopefully get to explore more of the island this year. I am going to England in May with my family. We’re flying in and out of London. I’d love any tips of places to see!

• This sounds like a great list! I can’t wait to follow along on your adventures!

• Loved reading about your goals, Danielle!! I’m so excited to see what 2017 has in store for you and what you create. Especially your business plan! I’ve been thinking the same for myself – but social media wise. A few local companies have hired me to create/manage their stuff and I’m like, “hmm! Maybe I’m onto something here?”

• I too have the same budget goal, but I LOVE you coffee show one – fun and unique without being to expensive or time consuming.

• Kayla says:

Love these goals! I think I need to set a book goal for the year too.

• Hannah says:

Sounds like a good mix of fun and serious goals! I plan to run a 50K at some point, but not sure if this will be the year.

• Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales says:

Thanks Hannah! Always good to have that balance of fun and serious – and more on the fun side!

• allison says:

Wow, what an ambitious set of goals. GOOD LUCK!
    I’m looking forward to a lot of reading, getting to the gym more regularly, healthy snacking, travelling to Alberta twice, hiking, saving for a trip to Europe next year, lots of visits with a friend who just moved from Chicago to Ann Arbor, hopefully moving into my own apartment (maybe that’s not a goal as I don’t have a lot of control…but I hope it happens), potentially travel to watch baseball and see a concert.

• Goodness, January went so quickly I didn’t manage to stop by until now. My apologies and thank you for linking up!

Your coffee shop goal is totally up my alley!
    When are you coming to Calgary?? Meet up??

• […] One of my “goals” for 2017 was to visit Vancouver’s ten best coffee shops of 2016. Olive + Ruby is number 10 on the list. I dropped by post-chiropractor and immediately loved this bright, colourful cafe. From the painted multi-colour wall, to the swinging chair in the window, I’ll be sure to come back to this adorable spot for a hot Americano and slice of avocado toast. […]

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Instagram
  • While I love life on the west coast, it's never easy living on the other side of the country from many friends and family. Grateful for trips home, no matter how long or short (this weekend!) they may be. Back to YVR ✈️
  • Soaking up that Toronto sunshine ☀️
  • Had some of the best vegan food ever at @plantatoronto tonight! I've often been left disappointed (and hungry 😅) by new plant based eateries but this totally exceeded expectations. Loved all the dishes we tried from the cheesy queso dip (pictured here) to the peanut butter chocolate "terrarium" for dessert.
  • Springtime in Victoria #flashbackfriday meanwhile in Toronto... ❄️🌧☀️
  • Last night's surprisingly purple sunset, a welcome sight after a day of rain #tbt
  • From west coast to east coast (sort of! 😛) Toronto bound ✈️ where there is apparently a rainfall warning #cantescapeit
  • The ferry is fun, but these views can't be beat. YYJ ➡️ YVR ✈️
  • Thanks Victoria for the sunshine, great eats, good coffee, and those Island views. Now to the float plane!