Now reading

Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 15 + Run Fast Eat Slow Cookbook

Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 15 + Run Fast Eat Slow Cookbook
Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 15 + Run Fast Eat Slow Cookbook

On October 9, 2016, I will be running Marathon No. 2: the Portland Marathon. Follow along as I post my weekly training recaps. All training recaps can be found here.

Here is week 15 of my marathon training:

Two weeks to go until Portland Marathon! My train ticket and accommodations are booked. One of my best friends in Toronto is flying to Portland to meet me. I am so excited to have her there! We will be staying in the city for the week after the marathon so I am very excited for some fun and celebration post-race. Please share any must-see places and restaurants in Portland.

Bowen Island Killarney Lake

September 19: rest and acupuncture

Acupuncture was intense to say the least. I’ve never had needles on my front side before (just my back) but today was the day. As soon as the acupuncturist put the needles in my quads, hip and IT band my muscles released in a big way. I’ve never felt anything like it! In the words of my acupuncturist: “now your muscles will actually communicate properly.” I guess that’s a good thing!

September 20: group personal training in AM + 8.35 miles (13.5 km) speed workout in PM

During group personal training I noticed an immediate difference in my range of motion and ability to engage my leg muscles. Thank you acupuncture! The only downside is everything hurts a little more.

Tuesday evening was the second last track workout for my marathon clinic. We warmed up by running 2 miles to the track. The workout was a speed ladder: 400 m, 800 m, 1200 m, 1600 m, 1200 m, 800 m, 400 m. We recovered in between each repeat and ran 2 miles to cool down.

My legs were really sore from the start and even worse after! But the weird part was the workout actually didn’t feel too bad. Like the morning, I actually feel like my legs are working properly now. It only took 15 weeks of marathon training to get here. The workout went by pretty quickly thanks to all of my fellow marathon clinic runners. It really helps having other runners to chase around the track instead of doing the speed workout on your own.

Bowen Island Crippen Regional Park

September 21: group personal training

September 22: group personal training in AM + easy 5 miles and stretching in PM

September 23: 8 miles (13 km) in AM + lacrosse ball in PM

I was so grateful to have my friend Alyssa on another Friday morning run with me. We began the run at 6:30 am in the dark, rain and wind. It would have been a very unhappy run alone! In the evening, I spent some time working out tight muscles with the lacrosse ball. I’ve started using the lacrosse ball for trigger point release on my glutes, hips, and IT band. It is really uncomfortable at the time, but it definitely helps.

Bowen Island Killarney Lake

September 24: rest (easy hike)

It wasn’t the greatest week at work and I was really craving some time alone. I set out on a day trip adventure to Bowen Island, located in Howe Sound and a 20 minute ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. I skipped my 4th group personal training workout of the week, in favour of an easy hike around Killarney Lake on Bowen Island. I figure at this point in training, more rest is going to do me more good than another workout.

September 25: 24 km (15 miles) long run + long walk and stretching in PM

Sunday morning we ran out to Burnaby and back for our marathon clinic long run. The run went by pretty fast – I guess that’s what happens when you run 34 km the week before! The hills also didn’t seem bad after last week’s rather (or very) hilly run. We really pushed the pace the second half and I ran a good chunk of the run at marathon pace. It felt pretty good, despite tight muscles and tired legs. I’m looking forward to my acupuncture session Monday morning!

Bowen Island Killarney Lake

Cooking up a storm: trying out recipes from Run Fast Eat Slow

This past week I have been ravenous. My hunger levels haven’t actually been too crazy this marathon training cycle (or maybe I am just used to eating more). It’s like my hunger caught up to me this week and all I wanted to do was eat, especially carbs. Fortunately, my copy of Shalene Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky’s new cookbook Run Fast Eat Slow arrived. I am loving it so far!

Shalene and Elyse have termed their way of eating “indulgent nourishment” and I can certainly see why. The recipes in Run Fast Eat Slow feature simple, whole food ingredients and are incredibly satisfying and delicious. Shalene and Elyse encourage athletes to incorporate healthy fats in their diets, not worry about counting calories or grams of protein, and believe restrictive dieting does more harm than good. Here’s a few of the recipes I have made so far. In case you make any of the recipes, I’ve included my ingredient substitutions.

Superhero muffins: replaced the maple syrup with pumpkin puree and the butter with coconut oil. Find the recipe here

Run Fast Eat Slow Superhero Muffins

Don’t get beet hummus

Carolina tarragon chicken salad: cooked the chicken in the slow cooker instead of roasting

On-the-run frittata muffins: left out the feta cheese

On-the-run frittata muffins

Fartlek chilli with ground turkey

Charred cauliflower (roasted cauliflower with cumin and olive oil)

How was your weekend? Have you made any good recipes lately? Have you been to Portland before?

12 Comments
  • Syd says:

When the speed workouts feel easy, you know you are super fit! I am so excited for you to run this second marathon and to read about how the race FELT. Your dedication to running, cross training, recovery and eating well is super impressive and I think you’re going to reap the benefits of feeling super strong throughout this race! Also, a week in Portland post-race sounds pretty amazing and I’m sure you will have lots of great food recommendations 🙂

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Here’s hoping! And thank you so much for your kind comment, I really appreciate it. I tend to go all in on things, which can be good and bad! But hopefully good in the case of marathon training. I am excited to hear about your first marathon experience, it sounds like training is going really well and most importantly you’ve been enjoying it! I may need to stay in Portland LONGER than a week. I keep getting so many amazing food recommendations.

• Margaret says:

It’s hard to narrow down recommendations for food in Portland…but here’s a few notes!
    -the chicken wings at Pok Pok (and everything at Pok Pok) live up to the hype
    -Kyra’s Bakeshop (not in Portland proper),worth the short drive for dairy-free baked goods. I don’t even eat dairy-free but they make my FAVORITE cupcakes
    -Blue Star Donuts > Voodoo Donuts
    -Sale & Straw ice cream is worth the insane wait in line
    -any meal at Tasty & Sons

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Thank you so much Margaret for your suggestions! I am getting hungry just thinking about them all. I am getting the impression there is a LOT of good food in Portland! Haha.

• I’ve heard so much about this cookbook, I am really considering it! That speed workout sounds killer! My favorite spots in Portland were Tasty and Alder, Imperial and Irving Street Kitchen for brunch..Go to Random House Coffee House for a piece of PIE. Harlow and Bye and Bye were my favorite vegan restaurants! Other favorite food spots: Veritable Quandary, Clyde Commons, Oven and Shaker for pizza, Toro Bravo, Ox if you want to splurge and like meat, and Wolf n Bear if you like food trucks!
    Definitely agree with the commenter above – Blue star is way better! Pips original donuts are amazing and you have to get salt and straw! More reviews here: http://bucketlisttummy.com/restaurants/portland-or/

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Yeah I kept seeing reviews about the book and finally decided to pick up my own copy! Thank you so much for all those recommendations, they sound awesome (especially the PIE!). I’ll also check out your blog posts!

• What do you think of Run Fast, Eat Slow? I am really interested, but I am gluten free on doctors order. Still worth it for me to buy it?

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

I am really pleasantly surprised! I can actually see using it on a regular basis – the recipes are sort of simple, but “elevated” if that makes sense. Staple recipes, with some delicious twists!

I eat mostly gluten-free and there are plenty of GF options in the book or easily made GF! The muffins I made above had oat flour and almond flour and they list at the top of every recipe if it is GF/vegan/vegetarian friendly, etc. I would say it would be harder to adapt if you’re totally dairy-free.

• I can’t believe the Portland marathon is almost here. That means it’s been almost 3 years since I ran it! Where does the time go? And I just got Run Fast, Eat Slow too! Haven’t tried any recipes yet but hoping to soon!

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Yeah I can’t believe it either! The past 4 months of training seem both long and so short. Hope you like the cookbook, so many good recipes to try.

• Bri says:

I really want to get that cook book! The recipes look amazing!
    Glad the acupuncture helped — I’ve never tried it and hopefully will never need to!
    Good luck with your last week of training… so close!!

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

I am loving the cookbook and the recipes so far! Definitely recommend. Good luck with your last week too!