Now reading

Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 8

Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 8
Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 8

On October 9, 2016, I will be running Marathon No. 2: the Portland Marathon. Follow along as I post my weekly training recaps. All training recaps can be found here.

Here is week 8 of my marathon training:

I ran the most miles I have ever run in a week: this week I hit 52 miles (85 km). It worked out this way because I skipped my long run last Sunday and did it on Monday. I had no idea how this was going to go but it turned out to be a pretty awesome week of workouts and a whole lot of eating.

August 1: 16 miles (26 km) long run and 20 min stretch & rolling with lacrosse ball

I followed the route my marathon clinic did on Sunday and ran to the Olympic Oval in Richmond. I started around 10 am and by the end of the run I was really hot. Thank goodness for ample water stop opportunities along the way!

I have never run to Richmond before and really enjoyed running across Bikeway Bridge to Richmond and along the Waterfront Trail to the Olympic Oval. I felt very good mentally during the run and relatively strong physically despite nagging hip and calves tightness. I am starting to realize the importance of keeping a positive attitude during my long runs and hard workouts. Running to a new place, following my clinic leader Dave’s directions, and a good playlist helped to make the miles alone go by quite quickly!

IMG_7234

August 2: group personal training in AM + 10 miles (16 km) hill boot camp in PM

In the morning, I headed to the gym for group personal training. In the evening, we had a 10 miles hill boot camp on tap for my marathon clinic. Honestly, I was really scared for this evening having done my long run the day before. Instead of doing our weekly hill repeats, we ran 10 hills throughout the course of our 10 miles run. I felt surprisingly good during the run but was pretty conservative with my pace on the hills. By the time we reached our final hill at Queen Elizabeth Park, I had still had some energy left “in the tank.” Feeling a little competitive I picked up the pace for the last few miles.

IMG_7243

August 3: group personal training in AM and flow yoga in PM

There were only 3 of us in group personal training this morning so we did a few exercises with the squat rack. I am pretty sure I hit a deadlift PB (135 lbs) so that was exciting! In the evening, I took a 1 hour flow yoga class with my friend and gym buddy Nikki.

August 4: group personal training in AM

August 5: 7 miles (11.25 km) in AM and sunset yoga on the beach in PM

I kicked off Friday morning with 7 miles along the seawall at a moderately hard pace. I was so happy to finally run somewhere flat after a week of hills! In the evening, I did yoga on the beach at sunset at an event sponsored by Lululemon. I don’t think it can get more Vancouver than this. If only they had served us green juice and kombucha.

IMG_7337

August 6: 6 miles (10 km) MEC trail race + rolling with lacrosse ball

Some friends and I headed to North Vancouver early Saturday morning to run an MEC 10 km trail race. I went in with little expectations and sore legs, but ended up placing 10th female overall! A very nice surprise and confidence boost. Stay tuned for my race recap later this week.

August 7: 13.5 miles (22 km) long run + rolling with lacrosse ball and foam roller

I lucked out with a cool morning and no rain. I ran an easy paced 13.5 miles (22 km) long run on the seawall and through the Stanley Park trails. My legs were definitely feeling the high mileage week and the trail race on Saturday, but brunch plans post-run and the prospect of hitting over 50 miles this week motivated me to keep going.

IMG_7366

What was your favourite workout of the week? What did you get up to this weekend?

14 Comments
  • Carmy says:

What I wouldn’t give to be able to pull of a 20K + run right now! I know I have some distance left in me after my running break but it is just so hard to do it in the heat!

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Yeah I still get the weather and heat alerts for Toronto on my phone and it sounds brutal there! Hopefully it eases up a bit in August and you can hit the road running 🙂

• Syd says:

What an awesome week of training, Danielle! Lots of eating is just what you need after a high volume week 😀! Do you have any other races planned before your marathon?

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Thank you! Glad you agree, yay food. I went for pie yesterday! Hehe. No races signed up for right now, I was thinking about 5 Peaks Whistler end of August and it’d be great to do a half marathon before the race but it’s tricky to find some in September that aren’t too close to the marathon. I was also thinking about the Van Race 15/30 km. What about you, any races soon?

• Syd says:

I am doing Seawheeze on Saturday and then I have a 5km the following weekend which is the donut dash hahaha so probably just a small fraction of my workout that day and then eastside 10km in September, but nothing else long so far…until the marathon!

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

A donut dash! That sounds very intriguing and fun! Hope you had a great Seawheeze, I’ll have to catch up on your blog posts.

• I still can’t believe you went out and ran to Richmond after we got back from Salt Spring, but wow, what a solid run!! Sounds like an amazing and solid week of training with the perfect amount of recovery and stretching. Watch out, Portland! 🙂

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Haha I can’t believe it either! Whenever I run to a different city, it always feels a little bit more epic!

• Congrats on a 50+ mile week – woohoo that’s awesome! It feels so good in marathon training to hit that milestone. Beautiful views on all of your runs!

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

Thanks so much Laura, I definitely felt accomplished! And now my legs are feeling it, looking forward to taking a few easier days this week.

• Jonathan says:

Great work! Now that you hit 85km in a week, do you think you’ll ramp up your weekly volume? What do you typically average per week?

Also, I love tempo runs because they make the runs go by faster. LOL

• daniellemleroux@gmail.com says:

I find my sweet spot is 40 miles plus the 3-4 per week strength and conditioning, by that point I am pretty tired! Haha. I’m sure I could cut back the strength but I love it too much, and I think it’s really benefitted my running and helps me from not getting bored.

• […] Week 8 was my highest mileage week yet, a great trail race, and quality workouts. Apparently, it all caught up to me this week. I skipped runs, had terrible muscle tightness, ate pie and scones, and slept more. Mentally, I also felt like I just needed a break from the intensity of training. But by the end of week, I landed in Prince Edward Island am feeling so much better. […]

• […] of desire to do any speed work while on vacation) and recreated the hill boot camp I did during week 8 of training: 10 miles of hills at a moderately hard pace. I sure felt like a badass running up and down those […]

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• While I love life on the west coast, it's never easy living on the other side of the country from many friends and family. Grateful for trips home, no matter how long or short (this weekend!) they may be. Back to YVR ✈️
  • Soaking up that Toronto sunshine ☀️
  • Had some of the best vegan food ever at @plantatoronto tonight! I've often been left disappointed (and hungry 😅) by new plant based eateries but this totally exceeded expectations. Loved all the dishes we tried from the cheesy queso dip (pictured here) to the peanut butter chocolate "terrarium" for dessert.
  • Springtime in Victoria #flashbackfriday meanwhile in Toronto... ❄️🌧☀️
  • Last night's surprisingly purple sunset, a welcome sight after a day of rain #tbt
  • From west coast to east coast (sort of! 😛) Toronto bound ✈️ where there is apparently a rainfall warning #cantescapeit